Welcome to our home. Well at least our living room. I started this project well over a month ago and normally projects don’t take this long but in this time… Matt came back from Haiti, whole family decided to stop by for dinner, we had our anniversary, we had high school summer camp and really so much more. So it took awhile! But we are done (sort of).
The color is a little off on the account that I didn’t feel like editing pictures today. After you hang a couple ledges in a 80 degree home with your hubby.. you just lose a little momentum. However you get the idea and someday if you are lucky enough you will see it in person. As stated earlier I painted the top light grey and the bottom light grey. In the middle we hung a chair rail. Wow that was harder than I expected.
I am personally loving all of our DIY projects. Check out those gallery ledges. I couldn’t bare punching 40 nails into the wall again and then having to patch it up. So instead we have ledges. 8 screws. Done. I’m not sure if I will ever move them so no worries about patching up.
Happy surprise. We had these UGLY college style lights with the plastic shades that on top of everything didn’t even match. The lamps had long ago broken to these shades that had been sitting in the garage. I finally put 2 and 2 together yesterday. Wa-bow… Much cooler lights.
Painting from Haiti. Frame recycled. See that blanket holder.. it has a story!
It is part of this cool ladder that was chopped into bits after it tried to wound two of our staff members. On day my husband and another guy were climbing up both sides of this old wooden 15 foot ladder to fix a projector. They got a little bit up and the other guy asked my husband how much he weighed… at that very moment the ladder collapsed underneath them. Alas the ladder’s days were over and it was sent out back. When the church garage was cleaned out it lay there unwanted and unloved and I saw it and stuffed in the back of the Cavalier. Some sand paper and spray paint… new blanket holder.
And now to the ugly chair. I have disliked this chair since it resided in my husband’s bachelor pad. He knew this and decided that he would sit me down in it and propose to me. Little did he know I am fairly unsentimental. I knew it would hurt him to part with it, so we have kept it. For 6 years, it has lived in a guest room or hidden away under boxes, etc. until the other day when I thought… huh.. I wonder if I can recover that thing without sewing or taking it apart. Check out what it looked like before…
Yuck… check out that pattern and faded colors.
I searched the house for fabric and came up with this duvet cover from Target that Owen had chewed on the corners of. Bless his puppy heart. But it was brown, thick, had a cool pattern.. hmmm… still usable!
So armed with a staple gun and $2.30 worth of furniture nails.. I went to work. By the way, this was harder than I thought it would be. There are lots of artful tucks to this project. And it still needs some smoothing.. but for $2.30.. I am currently satisfied. I also took off the legs and spray painted them glossy black as most of our furniture is black or black/brown.
So for now we are done. We still need to move the cable box with a help of a friend and caulk the molding/fireplace. I also have some sewing to do. That lump behind the chair will be cushions for extra seating and then the BW union jack pillows still need to be washed and sewn as I only painted them last night. I just wanted to see how they were looking. For now, this works for me and I feel like we finally have the room back! Welcome to fall! (almost)